Author Topic: Working Day  (Read 891 times)

rriggs

• Administrator
  • Working for: Golden Boy Coaches
Re: Working Day
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 07:32:33 PM »
I've played with this argument with DVSA and bosses in the past.

Let's say you come off a coach at Dover and require a daily or weekly rest.  Another driver takes the coach away and leaves you a car.  As you are on a mandatory rest you must "be able to freely dispose of your time" as per PSV375.  So, what if you decide to dispose of your time by driving home in the car? 

Not legal is the response. Now, taking that further, what if you are in a hotel a couple of hours from home on a mandatory 45 hour rest.  You decide to "freely dispose of your time" by driving home to see your family. The argument is that this is OK as you can dispose of your time how you want but if you stay there you will break the law as you will effectively be ending your shift while on a rest period.  If you visit your family and travel back to your hotel to complete your rest it's legal...

Cheers

Rog
I bet Einstein turned himself all kinds of colours before he invented the lightbulb

grahamw

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 11:00:01 AM »
Sorry for the delay,Have only just heard back from the school. Although not very satisfactory !!
I asked :
What time did the coach arrive/depart from the school? 
What time did it arrive at the destination accommodation?
How many drivers were there?
What is the name of the coach company?

They replied they only use providers with 'appropriate and robust accreditation' which gives them 'assurances that the appropriate safety standards have been met'
They also confirmed that 'regulations were met with the driver who stayed in the local area the night prior to departure'

That was all they said.
No mention of what time the driver arrived the day before. Would he have needed a nine or eleven hour break then ?
Cheers

rriggs

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 12:06:16 PM »
All a bit vague...

He probably would only have needed 9 hours the night before however even if he was only 10 mins from the school he still had this time plus getting into the coach plus his walk round check to add which is all eating up his 15 hours.

I suspect that *if* everything was within legal limits they cut it very fine indeed...

Cheers

Rog
I bet Einstein turned himself all kinds of colours before he invented the lightbulb

Kevan Portas

• VIP Member
  • My motor: A bar stool.
  • Working for: In limbo, near idleness.
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 01:28:55 PM »
Thanks for posting the result of your enquiries. The word "fudge" comes to mind. Just a thought. Try voicing your concerns about the answers you have received to one of the school governors, after all, they should take concerns about the children's safety as seriously as you have.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:38:52 PM by Kevan Portas »
😜 "I wish I'd listened to what my mother said."
😳 "Why, what did she say?".
😜 "I don't know, I wasn't listening".

rriggs

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 02:07:53 PM »
they should take concerns about the children's safety as seriously as you have.
Most would argue more seriously...

Cheers

Rog

Kevan Portas

• VIP Member
  • My motor: A bar stool.
  • Working for: In limbo, near idleness.
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »
Fair comment Rog. The gist of my point was that just because he has had an answer from the school, that doesn't necessarily mean an end to the matter.

😜 "I wish I'd listened to what my mother said."
😳 "Why, what did she say?".
😜 "I don't know, I wasn't listening".

rriggs

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 03:01:52 PM »
Fair comment Rog. The gist of my point was that just because he has had an answer from the school, that doesn't necessarily mean an end to the matter.
I was backing your comment up  :thumb_yello:

Cheers

Rog