Author Topic: london tour tonorrow  (Read 659 times)

MattH17

• Working for: westways coach services
london tour tonorrow
« on: September 10, 2016, 04:11:28 PM »
hi guys and girls i have had my first london sight seeing sprung on me for the morning i pick up in godalming at 10am and need to drop them in baker st for lunch at 14.30 anyone give me a good route to take these people for that amount of time? ive driven london but not to or from any POIs
thanks
matt

rriggs

• Administrator
  • Working for: Golden Boy Coaches
Re: london tour tonorrow
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 04:36:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Go from the A3 up to the M4 and come in on the A4.

At the Natural History Museum turn left up Exhibition Road, turn left at the top past the Albert Memorial & Albert Hall. Turn left down Queens Gate back down and left onto the A4.  Past Harrods and Wellington Arch (Hyde Park Corner).  Go right around Wellington Arch towards Victoria. 

At the end of Bressenden Place turn left onto Victoria Street and past Westminster Cathedral (go slow as set back from the road).  At the end of Victoria Street into Parliament Square for Westmister Abbey and Houses of Parliament.  Take fourth exit onto Millgate right past Houses of Parliament. 

At roundabout turn left across Lambeth Bridge (views of river and Parliament).  At end of bridge turn left past entrance to Lambeth Palace.  Go slow for good view of Paliament across the river.  Follow road past hospital and then turn left onto Westminster Bridge for views of London Eye, river and Parliament. 

Round Parliament Sqaure into Whitehall (fourth exit) to go past Downing Street and govt buildings and into Trafalgar Square.  At the roundabouth in the square go straight on into Pall Mall.  On a clear day you will just be able to see Buckingham Palace through the arches of Admiralty Arch (but don't drive down there!).  On Pall Mall take first right into Lower Regents Street. 

At top of Lower Regents Street you pass Picadilly Circus.  Take first exit into Regent Street.  Follow Regent Street to the top past shops, across Oxford Circus and past the new Broadcasting House. 

At the very top of Regent Street (when you can't go straight on anymore) turn right and up to the lights.  Turn left onto A40 past Regents Park Station.  When Madame Tussauds comes up on your right, turn left into Baker Street.

There's obviously lots of other options but coming from where you are and with the time you've got that seems a good mix to me.  Let me know if there's anywhere specific you want to include...

Cheers

Rog
I bet Einstein turned himself all kinds of colours before he invented the lightbulb

John Williamson

• My motor: A 12 plate TX most days.
  • Working for: Now working for a well-known company with red and yellow coaches in West London.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 04:55:42 PM »
You have not picked a good day. The Tour of Britain bike race will be closing a lot of major roads on Sunday 11th September. I am also doing a sightseeing tour tomorrow, and it'll be a case of them seeing whatever we can get near and skipping the rest.

https://tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/major-works-and-events/tour-of-britain
Bye!

John.
(Now living in The Lair.)

MattH17

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 06:48:44 PM »
RRIGGS you are an absolute life saver thank you so much im going to print this and keep it by my side 🖒🖒

Yeah would be my luck the roads being shut 😣 lol

rriggs

• Administrator
  • Working for: Golden Boy Coaches
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 09:38:01 PM »
No probs Matt - and thanks John, that's a good point (I'm enjoying a 45 this weekend so wasn't paying attention to planned outages...). 

Apart from the extra traffic due to diversions, the route I gave should work up as far as when you come back over Westminster Bridge. 

If you're still OK for time you could double back over the bridge for another view of the Eye and thengo along the south bank to Blackfriars, turn left over the bridge, then head into the City. Go under the flyover and turn right into Smithfields for a look at Smithfields Market where you can drive right round the market and then left back onto Blackfrairs Road.  Down to Ludgate Circus where you turn left into Ludgate Hill for a good view of St Paul's. From there, start heading north up towards Islington to pick up City Road which leads back to the A40 and on towards Baker Street.

I had similar problems when the 10k was on.  Just persuaded my pax to do a walking tour.  Dropped then at 1000 at St Paul's and picked them back up in Lower Regents Street at 1630.  Nice when it works out like that...

Cheers

Rog
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:10:59 PM by rriggs »
I bet Einstein turned himself all kinds of colours before he invented the lightbulb

MattH17

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 12:01:02 PM »
 thanks again it worked out great bike race caused me abit of agro but got it all done thanks guys
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 03:24:01 PM by MattH17 »