Author Topic: Who pays for DCPC  (Read 423 times)

samsfun

Who pays for DCPC
« on: August 07, 2016, 10:54:14 AM »
Why is it that employers don't have to pay for the DCPC. Surly this should come under the H&S training area?

Kevan Portas

• VIP Member
  • Working for: Craske Coaches. Catfield, Norfolk.
Re: Who pays for DCPC
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 11:29:16 AM »
It is part of a drivers requirement to have one  in order to be legal to drive. Just like the PCV, it belongs to the driver not the company he works for, therefore it is up to the driver to provide one in order to gain employment.
Having said that, my previous employer, who was not known for his largesse paid for mine, although I had to do it in my own time, days off, holidays etc.
😜 "I wish I'd listened to what my mother said."
😳 "Why, what did she say?".
😜 "I don't know, I wasn't listening".

rriggs

• Administrator
  • Working for: Golden Boy Coaches
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 12:59:39 PM »
A lot of employers do pay for it.

As Kevan says it's legally the same as your licence, your medical, eye tests, etc.

Any responsible employer should be providing ongoing training regardless of the DCPC...

Cheers

Rog
I bet Einstein turned himself all kinds of colours before he invented the lightbulb

John Williamson

• My motor: A 61 plate Van Hool DAF.
  • Working for: Now working for a well-known company with red and yellow coaches in West London.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 07:14:32 PM »
 A really sensible and interested employer can find sponsored training courses that are acceptable as part of the studies for the DCPC, such as the SAFED (Safe And Fuel Efficient Driving) course that was offered free to all operators a while back, and counted as 7 hours of CPC study. Even the TfL cycle awareness course counts, and that's offered for free with a mobile lecturer  no matter where you're based, so all you need is to provide a location, which can be a coach with curtains drawn parked near a mains supply for the guy's laptop and projector.

The NVQ level 2 for coach drivers used to be paid for by the government, also counted as credit for the DCPC, and can be used as a marketing tool, too.
Bye!

John.
(Now living in The Lair.)

ROG

• He knows the law!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 08:33:57 PM »
Maybe when we leave the EU the UK Govt will scrap it ............
IAM OBSERVER

rriggs

• Administrator
  • Working for: Golden Boy Coaches
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 09:47:22 PM »
Maybe when we leave the EU the UK Govt will scrap it ............
Haha! Seems unlikely. It's an EU idea but enshrined in UK law.  Can't see there being much momentum in Government to recind the DCPC when there are so many other jucier laws out there that people will be desparate to overturn. There's only enough hours in Parliament's day for them to vote EU laws off the books so many will stay by default.

Cheers

Rog
I bet Einstein turned himself all kinds of colours before he invented the lightbulb