Author Topic: King Long  (Read 3243 times)

Kevossitt

King Long
« on: February 27, 2015, 12:41:55 PM »
I've been all over Europe in 49 seat king longs, there not a bad bus when you get used to them.
Ok they are cheap, but a passenger would be more impressed with a new king long, than a 10yr old Volvo.
Ledger love them, they wanted a silver service king long.
But like you say, driver wise not the best.
The 32/35 seaters were hopeless, move about on the road too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rriggs

• Administrator
  • Working for: Golden Boy Coaches
Re: King Long
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 12:56:58 PM »
Interesting note about the King Longs.

I've not driven one but did a two company job a few years back and the other coach was a King Long.  It was a year newer than the Van Hool I was driving and was already showing decent amounts of rust on the stretch panels and the glovebox lid and one of the handrails by the entrance were busted.  I know the greatest of tests but the impression has stuck with me!  It was really slow on hills too (London to Oxford) and I kept having to hold back so he could keep up (as he didn't know where we were going but that's another story!).

Cheers

Rog
I bet Einstein turned himself all kinds of colours before he invented the lightbulb

alamcculloch

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 01:46:08 PM »
If a firms accountant was offered the choice of 4 Volvos or 5 King Longs he would go Chinese.Its only 5 years down the line that he will find out that they have a scrap value only.I think that its a repeat of the Lada car scenario if you bought one you could not part exchange for anything else.

rriggs

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 01:50:26 PM »
If a firms accountant was offered the choice of 4 Volvos or 5 King Longs he would go Chinese.Its only 5 years down the line that he will find out that they have a scrap value only.I think that its a repeat of the Lada car scenario if you bought one you could not part exchange for anything else.
True enough.  I guess if they're leased for five years (or whatever) rather than bought then they are going to care even less...

Cheers

Rog
I bet Einstein turned himself all kinds of colours before he invented the lightbulb

simonp820

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 02:29:16 PM »
I've been all over Europe in 49 seat king longs, there not a bad bus when you get used to them.
Ok they are cheap, but a passenger would be more impressed with a new king long, than a 10yr old Volvo.
Ledger love them, they wanted a silver service king long.
But like you say, driver wise not the best.
The 32/35 seaters were hopeless, move about on the road too much.

I met a guy in Ypres last year who was singing the praise of his King Long and accusing all the haters of being jealous - not you was it ;)

I've driven them and I'm certainly not jealous ;)

Kevossitt

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 02:42:41 PM »
No, lol.
I must admit tho, I did look after the ones I drove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rriggs

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 04:17:56 PM »
They may well have got better over the years (the one I saw close up was in 2010 and was an 09-reg) but I think there is always an element of you get what you pay for.

Irizar were the same (might still be!) with coaches that looked lovely but fell apart very quickly.  Ditto Plaxtons for rust and dashboards that broke when you pressed buttons...

Cheers

Rog

Kevan Portas

• VIP Member
  • My motor: Javelin/Plaxton
  • Working for: Jubilee Coaches. Rollesby. Norfolk.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 05:53:14 PM »
A firm near here, in Suffolk had a King Long. It was off the road for 3 weeks waiting for a set of brake pads!!
😜 "I wish I'd listened to what my mother said."
😳 "Why, what did she say?".
😜 "I don't know, I wasn't listening".

raveninblack

• Working for: the yankee dollar
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 04:56:17 PM »
boss has bought one.... its for me. time to move on i think.

John Williamson

• My motor: A 12 plate TX most days.
  • Working for: Now working for a well-known company with red and yellow coaches in West London.
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 06:45:51 PM »
Give it a chance first. The 09's had an iffy build quality, the 13 plates were much better, and if they keep improving at the same rate, they'll be worrying Plaxton before long.

They've also just totally re-organised their European operation, with parts allegedly being held locally by the main dealer, so they won't have to come on the slow boat from China.
Bye!

John.
(Now living in The Lair.)

raveninblack

• Working for: the yankee dollar
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 12:21:05 AM »
Its a 63 plate and arrives this week, seen photos from the dealer(king long itself) and it looks ok but i hope it pulls better than the 09 we have on loan at mo. Absolutely gutless on hills.