Author Topic: Use of hands free microphone as driver guide.  (Read 3342 times)

Con

Use of hands free microphone as driver guide.
« on: February 26, 2015, 04:31:04 PM »
Hello,

I have two coach tours coming up in Scotland in 2016, can anyone tell me what is the legal situation regarding the use of a handsfree mic whilst and giving occasional tour commentary on the open road. I do understand that I need to use a step on guide for the City tours, but I need to have the situation regards the use of a handsfree mic clarified if possible. Is it illegal to use or not ?

Hope you can help,

Thanks guys

rriggs

• Administrator
  • Working for: Golden Boy Coaches
Re: Use of hands free microphone as driver guide.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 04:41:31 PM »
Hi

Welcome to the forum!

Use of any microphone - handsfree or not - by the driver to give commentary is illegal.  The only thing you can use the mike for is for safety announcements and details of upcoming stops if you are on NX-type work.  Any kind of guide--type announcement or commentary are illegal unless you are stationary.

Cheers

Rog
I bet Einstein turned himself all kinds of colours before he invented the lightbulb

Con

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 04:52:05 PM »
Hi Rog,

many thanks for clearing that question up. I will have an American tour leader / operator travelling with the tour, so she will have to keep them entertained !

Thanks again, and glad to be onboard the forum, good to have sensible people to discuss  coach issues with.

Cheers,

Con.

rriggs

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 04:53:04 PM »
Hi Rog,

many thanks for clearing that question up. I will have an American tour leader / operator travelling with the tour, so she will have to keep them entertained !

Thanks again, and glad to be onboard the forum, good to have sensible people to discuss  coach issues with.

Cheers,

Con.
No problem.  Glad to have you here!

Cheers

Rog
I bet Einstein turned himself all kinds of colours before he invented the lightbulb

Somerset Driver

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 08:39:31 PM »
But in the real world.....  if you really want to give a bit of rolling commentary, get one of the headset boom mics...   

I see lots of drivers using them.   :angel_hypocrite:

rriggs

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 11:35:10 PM »
But in the real world
LOL, but the original question was if it was legal...

Cheers

Rog

John Williamson

• My motor: A 12 plate TX most days.
  • Working for: Now working for a well-known company with red and yellow coaches in West London.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 06:39:33 PM »
But in the real world.....  if you really want to give a bit of rolling commentary, get one of the headset boom mics...   

I see lots of drivers using them.   :angel_hypocrite:

Just because lots of drivers use them, that doesn't make it legal.
Bye!

John.
(Now living in The Lair.)

MalcolmM15

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 01:27:22 PM »
Don`t know if they are still available, but I used to use a small mic that clipped onto my tie, a bit more discreet than a head mic, as it was virtually impossible to see it from a distance. As John says, still illegal though.

duncangrant

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 03:47:15 PM »
..............So you've got an American Tour Manager or Leader....I wish you luck because from my experience they leave a lot to be desired and seldom have a good knowledge of places of interest in the itinarary...............but perhaps you'll be lucky...........I hope so!!

JDW

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 01:28:31 PM »
Ah but if its an American guide it will likely be American passengers too, whose knowledge will be even worse and who will believe whatever the guide says.  Also it will be in the right language and so make it easier for them to follow...

:-D

Kevan Portas

• VIP Member
  • My motor: Javelin/Plaxton
  • Working for: Jubilee Coaches. Rollesby. Norfolk.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 02:45:19 PM »
Some years back I had a group of Israelis, with their own tour leader which was not a pleasant experience, but, heading north from Kendal on the 591, just as you come over the nob and get your first sighting of Windermere down to the left,  the tour leader is jabbering on in Israeli, (which I don't understand), but I got the words Glencoe, Campbell's and Macdonalds!! :laugh: .
😜 "I wish I'd listened to what my mother said."
😳 "Why, what did she say?".
😜 "I don't know, I wasn't listening".

BusyBus

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 05:31:20 PM »
It is LEGAL to use a HAND-FREE microphone on a moving vehicle to issue "ANNOUNCEMENTS". The terminology is ambiguous in the interpretation of an "announcement". Is it "safety", "next stop detail", "information"? etc.

One day it will be tested in Court. Until then, you are allowed to give your passengers "announcements" using a hand-free, self-activating microphone as long as it is considered safe to do so.

rriggs

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »
The Public Service Vehicles (Conduct of Drivers, Inspectors, Conductors and Passengers) Regulations 1990

A driver shall not, when a vehicle is in motion, hold a microphone or any attachment thereto unless it is necessary for him, either in an emergency or on grounds of safety, to speak into the microphone.

Nothing in paragraph shall prevent the driver of a vehicle which is being used to provide a relevant service from making short statements from time to time limited to indicating the location of the vehicle or operational matters provided that he can do so without being distracted from his driving of the vehicle.

In this regulation, a “relevant service” is a service for the carriage of passengers for hire or reward at separate fares which is neither–
(i)an excursion or tour nor
(ii)a service the primary purpose of which is sightseeing

Seems pretty unambiguous to me...

Cheers

Rog

Kevan Portas

• VIP Member
  • My motor: Javelin/Plaxton
  • Working for: Jubilee Coaches. Rollesby. Norfolk.
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 10:43:12 AM »
"Terminology is ambiguous". :laugh: .

Couldn't have put it better myself Rog.
😜 "I wish I'd listened to what my mother said."
😳 "Why, what did she say?".
😜 "I don't know, I wasn't listening".

alamcculloch

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 03:02:14 PM »
I drove a party into Dundee recently and heard an oaf confidently tell the passengers that Sir Walter Scott sailed the RRS Discovery to the North Pole.The Discovery was Captained by Robert Falcon Scott on her ill fated passage to the South Pole.I understand the rules to be the driver can tell pax where the coach is but shouldnt do any thing like a commentary.